Methyl Salicylate from Salicylic Acid

I used the ~43 grams of Salicylic Acid made in a previous post to synthesize methyl salicylate. Methyl salicylate is the ester that gives wintergreen its distinct flavor and odor. The process is known as a fischer esterification. The procedure is simple, and consists of dissolving the salicylic acid in an excess of anhydrous methanol, and then adding 40ml of concentrated sulfuric acid as a catalyst and refluxing for about two hours. After the reflux, around 50% of the methanol is distilled until the oil methyl salicylate precipitates. The mixture is poured into a separatory funnel and the oil layer is isolated. The oil is then washed with saturated sodium bicarbonate solution twice. The oil, cloudy with methanol and water is then dried using calcium chloride. The oil is totally clear and has a very pleasant refractive index. It has a slight yellow color due to dissolved sulfuric acid and contaminants. Depending on its eventual application I may or may not neutralize the acid. It is not very concentrated and does not affect the smell. The yield was slightly over 50% which considering my setup is not too bad. 

Comments

  1. I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity and HPV, My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came across Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receive my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following diseases..Copd,Herpes,Alzheimer's disease,carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's ,Epilepsy,Cancer,HPV,Wart Remover,Ance,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Coeliac disease,Infertility, Asthma.Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com..Whatsapp Number...+2348149277976

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Airplane Transponder Data to Characterize Antenna Performance

Microstate table for a d3 electronic configuration.

Perturbation Theory in Mathematica